Sunday, February 04, 2007

Paihia


We arrived in Paihia and decided we liked it here quite a bit and would stay awhile. To support our sailing habit (its not cheap), we decided to get jobs. All three of us are currently working at the same hotel, Scenic Circle - Bay of Islands. Lori is working as waitstaff (in the hotel restaurant) and housekeeping, and usually works both positions in the same day. I'm being lazy and only working in housekeeping, and usually volunteering to get cut from the shift first. Mark is working as porter & waitstaff & housekeeping & gardener and practically lives at the hotel. I think next week he's starting shifts in reception, cook, and night watchman. I think he has to wait two more weeks before his first manager shift, which would mean he's tried every position at the hotel I'm aware of.

In addition to working, we also decided to take a break from hostel life for a bit. Dorms and tandem bikes are exciting and all, but sometimes you need a break. Lori and Mark are staying in the staff house for the hotel with 4 other flatmates. They have to go over a large hill to get to work/town everyday, but they have a great view from their back balcony out over the bay.

I moved into a place creatively named the whitehouse. I'm at the top of the hill overlooking the bay, check out the view from my front porch that I get to see every morning. I have 7 other flatmates, and yes, I have noticed I'm using British English in this post.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why but the picture didn't show up on the latest blog, so I didn't get to see the view from the whitehouse.

2/08/2007 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did NZ require work visas from you? Or is there some sort of guest worker program?
How are the tips?

Amy and I have some friends that own a guest house on 90 mile beach...across the island from where you are now, I think.

2/10/2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger David said...

The picture shows up at the top of the post when I pull up the page, try again.

2/11/2007 12:02 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

We got a working holiday visa that is good for up to 1 year. It's very easy for us to get this in NZ, but Australia is not easy for Americans to get a work visa. Tips are nearly non-existent although I've gotten a few.

We just went to 90 mile beach (which is actually about 65 miles long). We also went sand-boarding which was great. I'm sure there'll be post soon with pics of today's experience.

2/13/2007 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark = gardener = agronomist

2/14/2007 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home